POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Specular Transparent Image-Map Problem with 3.5 RC 6 : Re: Specular Transparent Image-Map Problem with 3.5 RC 6 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Specular Transparent Image-Map Problem with 3.5 RC 6
From: Richard Borsheim
Date: 19 Jun 2002 13:46:10
Message: <3d10c362$1@news.povray.org>
> Maybe you understand all this now, but the problem you were describing
> seemed to show that you did not before.

I think that I knew that (or should have), but didn't apply it to this
particular case. My thinking was "100% translucency=Non-existence".

> You didn't say whether or not a finish were being used, so
> that would be good to know, however you did say "specular image_maps".
That
> must mean you do have a finish set up.

I did have a finish set up. It works fine if there is no specular set.

> Anyway, back to the item in question. Fact is, I think all you can do is
> like Nathan suggested already. To map out the image via a texture not
> pigment. For POV-Ray that would be the way to go about that punch-through
as
> you called it. The technique you told of isn't something I know about but
> get the idea.

I think I understand, but I don't think this could be applied in this
particular case since the POVRay file is "generated" and that would require
some steps that would be akward.

The solution/work-around is to only use punch-through modelling on objects
that don't require specularity/reflection etc.

> Hope you don't take all the 'not a bug' stuff the wrong way. For instance,
> Warp was pointing out the obvious. Some people expect highlights on clear
> objects if specular or phong is specified in a finish, others don't.
> Likewise, to see reflections if reflection is set, or not. Reflection
> behaves this way too.

I completely understand the "not a bug" stuff. I'm a developer myself and
know the "feature vs. bug" issue well. I did try to phrase it politely (but
obviously failed). I guess I'll have to post a request for a new feature:
"100% translucency = non-existence". Though, I suppose not many "real"
POVRay users will be interested in such a feature.

> Well, have I beat this into the ground enough?  :-)

Yup. Good job! Thanks.

BTW anyone know why if you use atmosphere you need to have something behind
the atmosphere or the "visible light" is not visible? Should I post that
somewhere else?

Richard
PS Here is something rendered with POVRay and created with my program (3D
Canvas) that I thought was particularly nice:
http://www.train-sim.com/dcforum/User_files/3ccaa5291beb7bb4.jpg